Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Joan as Police Woman - Real Life(2006) Jeff Buckley - Grace(1994)


Joan as Police Woman - Real Life

I remember myself thinking about her advert of some gig I saw in some magazine: "Probably another yelling bitch with ancient synth and punk attitude". But only few weeks later I've read that she is actually a violinist. That was confusing. So I went to "check her sound" and I found this http://www.fabchannel.com/joanaspolicewoman,that's her concert in Amsterdam club. She came on stage with a cuppa.. sculpturesque figure&face, had few words with audience and started to sing, only her and fender piano. What a strange voice, rough but bittersweet and.. mature. I enjoyed her performance (later with bass/drums, her guitar playing), so I went to buy her album. And than it happened, fucking hell..that first song.. Real Life.. I was absolutely astonished.. her voice, piano, violin and the way how she lead the melody. That was the only song I've heard that evening.. I had enough.

The arrangements, the melody and the lyrics are very minimalistic, but altogether... it's massive emotional kick arse.


i freeze my hands as i close the door to wait in line so i can wait some more
and it's true what they say about love yes it's true what they say about life and i'm taking it for all it's worth
i watch the numbers register on the postal scale i think of your hands and calculate how a man, desired, feels the weight of a letter
it's true what they say about me that i'm out of my mind but i think that you like it so take the chance,be reckless with me
'cause i'm real life and you're real life and we're real life we're real life
is it pleasing?six hundred thousand miles and all this solitude?i know what is pleasing-what i'll find beneath your new pair of glasses
i've never included a name in a song but i'm changing my ways for you,
jonathan
i need you to know,i need you to know that i'm real life


Another day I went through the album, it's like a journey, every piece/road is different. I was little bit shocked when I found out that three songs on Real Life (Eternal Flame,Flushed Chest,The Beast) are some kinda tribute (or about) to Jeff Buckley, and that they were lovers in time of his death. I knew about Liz Fraser (Cocteau Twins), but she claimed that her relationship with Jeff Buckley was "spiritual" (does it mean faked orgasms?hihi). That's even more mythic..

Jeff Buckley - Grace pt1
Jeff Buckley - Grace pt2




There was too many words said&written about Jeff Buckley's Grace. It's now all time classic. Three weeks ago I borrowed a book in library about Tim/JeffBuckley, but I didn't read it. I don't want to know. I managed Lydon's No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs, nobody is dying in it, only Sid and he was Vicious so what the fuck?

btw my favourite is Mojo Pin.. he was an angel, wasn't he?

NEW LINKS FOR GRACE ARE IN COMMENTS :)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the share.

I recall that Joan Wasser met Buckley in 1994 and was in a relationship with him up to his death. She also played with his band (as Black Beetle) for a while after he died, but they never recorded anything, as far as I know.

If you want to hear more of her violin playing, check out some Dambuilders albums (especially the earlier ones like Encendedor or Ruby Red). The style is much harder (guitar-based indie rock), and she doesn't sing, but the violin on some of the songs is just fantastic.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 2:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the "Real Life" album. I've been wanting to hear this one for a while.

Cheers!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:38:00 PM  
Blogger pwnbrk said...

to Kushiro:

thanks for a tip mate, that's great.. going to find some Dambuilders music.

to cuddlefish:

hope you'll like it.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THC-

Thanx for Grace. I was introduced to Jeff Buckley's music in a very odd way. I was watching West Wing on TV when Grace was being played and I was blown away, and just could not believe how powerful that song was, and is. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Thanx.

Friday, December 01, 2006 12:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

password ?

thank you

Friday, December 01, 2006 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger pwnbrk said...

pass: for2headlesschicken

genius!!!

Friday, December 01, 2006 11:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey!
I'm sorry but could you please pleas pleas re-upload JEFF BUCKLEY! I'd really like to have this Album!
Thank You!
Greets

Saturday, December 09, 2006 8:01:00 AM  
Blogger pwnbrk said...

http://rapidshare.com/files/6961342/Grace.part2.rar.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/6963208/Grace.part1.rar.html

Monday, December 11, 2006 12:46:00 AM  
Blogger Aino said...

Hi, great entry! Do you suppose you could repost the Real Life album? The links have expired. Thanks a bunch!

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blog...I didn't know about Joan being in Jeff's life. You link to her album doesn't work anymore. Can you repost it please?

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home