Tuesday, January 16, 2007

i like the innocent type... deer in the headlight

Cat Power - What Would The Community Think (1996)
10 years before she did The Greatest. She was closer to P.J.Harvey and Velvet Underground. It's one of the records made by person who is so fucked up that is almost impossible to go through the songs, lyrics without absorb its pessimism. But maybe this is what she wanted. Nowadays, when she is so famous, everybody knows her story.. about being poor, alcoholic and suicidal, so that strange feeling which is on every Chan's record is more or less inspired by her own life.. sad. Her changeover into soul/blues sober/bar queen is fascinating. It's good too see her being in such a good state.

I hated Pixies for years. It was hard for me to listen Frank Black's voice. But then I've heard "Where is My Mind" and endless enduring love with Pixies started. I like every Pixies album, but At the BBC is so special. It's so joyful! Their songs are much wilder and powerful.
Kim Deal's voice in "There Goes My Gun" is so velvet. Think David Bowie is right when he is saying that Pixies are the best rock group ever. I don't know what's so special about them. They are just fucking great. Listen to Ana, what a simple melody, but so poweful! Hope I will have a chance to see them play live as they are touring again.

After I read John Lydon's (Rotten) biography No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs I became such a fan of him. I always liked PIL, but the book really started my interest in his person.I've got an affection for strong characters and he is definitely of them. Now after 30 years since Nevermind.. was released there is no doubt that Pistols were the most important band in British music ever. There is no other band which was so influental after them. They changed the whole situation in music industry. They brought lot of new stuff into the music. Now is evident the Pistols were mostly about John Rotten. His lyrics, attitude and genuine originality has no comparison in British music. He is a real artist even he probably hates this word.

Oval are the pioneers of glitch music. In 1997 I was in my dad's sitting room in Germany, watching some German music channel and while there was clip for Do While running. My father came to the sitting room, he saw me watching a listening to it with my mouth open. He sat down and started to listen with me. But after while he said:"What the fuck is this? That's not a music. It's just a bloody loop running again and again".Have to admit that Oval is hard to swallow music. They were using black markers to write on cd's to create loops sounds and noises deliberately.



Ennio is a genius of our age. I have almost 50 albums with his film scores and I can't still get enough. It's unbelievable how many scores he did. And every one of them is a little jewel. He is able to write in almost every style, so his work is pretty colorful. He is author of some of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heard. I am just an admirer. I chose two soundtracks from late 60' which are good illustration of his work with rock and pop influences into his own unmistakable way of composition. I love the way he is creating "the chaos". Think he is working with dischords more than any other score composer. His work was always a big inspiration for my own music.

Two Gallants are my discovery of 2006. Just two guys, one guitar, voice and drums. No White Stripes copy! It's hard to define their music, but in general they are alternative folk/country/rock band. Singer Tyson Vogel is one of "the lanegans" ripped-throat vocalists, emery paper in music.

When I started to watch Donnie Darko I expected some digital effects orgies with smart story, but crippled ending.. as usual these days. So it was really big surprise how good this film was!! Really really clever!!! I think that Donnie Darko is more like a music video. The picture is almost whole time led by music. Take the scene with Tear for Fears - Head Over Heels, it's so great, but turn the music off and watch the fim only. The magic is gone. From now the songs "Head Over Heels, Killing Moon or Love Will Tear Us Apart" will be associated with Donnie Darko for me.




Merrill Nisker (born 1968) aka Peaches is really crazy fuck.. her electro/clash music is catchy, although it's the lyrics and her voice what's in first line. Like this from her "biggest hit" Fuck the Pain Away:

Sucking on my titties like you wanted me
Calling me, all the time like Blondie
Check out my chrissy behind
It's fine all of the time
Like sex on the beaches
What else is in the teaches of peaches? Huh? What?

Is absolutely up to you to decide if it is just a silly joke or a just another view from woman who is mature.Impeach My Bush is more commercial and Josh Homme play some guitars on it.
Funny fact is that she shared house with folkie Feist. What they were doing wasn't reported.
pass in comments






6 Comments:

Blogger pwnbrk said...

ps: for2headlesschicken

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:27:00 PM  
Blogger noone said...

hey man, i guess there's a link only to one of the Peache's albuns.
anyway, thanks for posting.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:49:00 AM  
Blogger pwnbrk said...

problem solved.. thx

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the nasty lady stuff!

Friday, January 19, 2007 10:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the morricone! didn't have the first
post.i've been lucky enough to get a ticket to
his north american debut in nyc feb. 3.
never thought i'd see him conduct. yeehaa!

Saturday, January 20, 2007 5:18:00 PM  
Blogger pwnbrk said...

to anonymous>
now you can be nasty too

to dj wha lee>
morricone was in London a few weeks ago.. and I didnt even try to buy a ticket. see and hear him could possibly kill me.. his music is so strong for me even from the record.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 5:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home